Thursday, January 10, 2013

I have discovered Pinterest! When you are on a tight budget, you always are looking for ways to save money but keep a good quality of living. People all over the world are posting recipes, crafts, great gift ideas, how to make your own cleaning supplies, and so much more. I have started making my own laundry detergent. For the price of one bottle of detergent, I have made several. It seems to clean as well. I have no complaints and it doesn't take long to make up a batch. I make up enough to fill my laundry detergent bottle, which is half the recipe. A full recipe will fill two plastic milk jugs.

Liquid Detergent

1 gallon water (boiling)
1 bar soap (grated). I use Ivory.
1 cups borax
1 cups washing soda, which is available at your local grocery store near the Borax. Look for Arm and Hammer.

1. Add finely grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted. You can keep on low heat until soap is melted.
2. Add borax and washing soda to the hot soap mixture.
3. Add 1 gallon of water, stir until well mixed.
4. Pour the mixture into your container, whether it is milk jugs, detergent bottle or a covered pail. Use 1/4 cup for each load of laundry. The mixture will gel, so you might have to shake or stir it before each use.

Powdered Detergent
2 cups finely grated soap 1 cup washing soda 1 cup borax
1. Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.
2. Use 2 tablespoons per full load.

No comments:

Post a Comment